2- 3 pounds of chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 lime, juiced
3 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon allspice, powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
2 scallions, chopped
3-4 thyme springs
1 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero pepper
6-8 allspice (pimento) seeds (optional)
1 small Roma tomato, chopped
2 teaspoons mushroom soy sauce or browning sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons cornstarch or potato starch
Oil for frying about 3 tablespoons to ¼ cup.
**Optional ingredients you can add
¼ cup chopped celery (optional)
¼ cup sliced carrots (optional)
1 potato, peeled and diced in 1-inch (optional)
1. Add chicken and lime juice to a large bowl, rub well, then rinse with cold water. Drain well, then add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, allspice powder, and 1 teaspoon of mushroom soy sauce, half scallion, small sprinkle of thyme and half the onions. Mix well with your hand. Cover and marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large deep-frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken to hot oil and brown for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan.
3. Make sure your pan has about 2 tablespoons of oil remaining in the pan. Next, add garlic, onion, and tomatoes. If you are adding any of the optional includes, add them. Sauté for about one to two minutes, then add the chicken back to the pan along with thyme, pepper, pimento seed, and scallion.
4. Mix soy sauce, ketchup, and cornstarch with the water and add to the pan. Turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir occasionally and taste and adjust your seasoning as needed.
5. Once the chicken is tender, remove it from heat and serve with Rice and Peas.
Hi my name is Dianne I enjoy cooking a variety of dishes and putting a smile on peoples faces. I have been teaching hands on cooking classes for over 18 years. I live in Florida with my two youngest young men and my two fur babies Hendrix and Mocha. I love creating new dishes and going for long walks with my fur babies.